Thursday 14 July 2016

Tolerance - J K Rowling

What is freedom of speech?

 In this context I wish to share the message of JK Rowling on defending the freedom of speech. The message was in context of a petition banning entry of Donald Trump from visiting UK. The debate was supposed to take place in Parliament and MPs participating in it.

Key portions are presented below (from VanityFair) :

“I find almost everything that Mr. Trump says objectionable. I consider him offensive and bigoted. But he has my full support to come to my country and be offensive and bigoted there. His freedom to speak protects my freedom to call him a bigot. His freedom guarantees mine.”

“If my offended feelings can justify a travel ban on Donald Trump, I have no moral ground on which to argue that those offended by feminism or the fight for transgender rights or universal suffrage should not oppress campaigners for those causes. If you seek the removal of freedoms from an opponent simply on the grounds that they have offended you, you have crossed the line to stand alongside tyrants who imprison, torture, and kill on exactly the same justification.
Above message is a very fine way of explaining freedom of speech.
References:

No comments:

Post a Comment