Saturday 8 February 2020

Nagumomu Ganaleni - Tyagaraja Bhagavathar

Nagumomu Ganaleni is one of my go to songs when refreshing is required.

The version which i listen to is by Kartik.


I was not aware about a single word, but the rendition was too good.

My search for translation accidentally landed me to a blog which turned out to be a treasure house of translation of Saint Tyagaraja Keerthana.


The English verse is reproduced below:

Knowing that bereft of Your smiling face,
Distraught is my state,
Foremost of the Raghus, won't You
Come to me, to alleviate?

Bearer of the king of mounts!
The members of Your retinue,
They who give good counsel,
Could they fail to remind You?

Does not the king of birds
Hasten to do Your bidding?
Or did he find, Heaven to Earth,
A distance too forbidding?

O Supreme Self who rules over all,
Who else but You, can I invoke!
Elude and leave me not in a pall,
Take your bard under Your yoke.

All readers are requested to visit the link provided above and take a dip into the beauty of translating a divine kirtana Naumomu Ganaleni.

No comments:

Post a Comment