Tuesday 29 May 2018

For Voter - Voters' Vote Protection Act


As a voter I am bombarded with rights of a citizen to vote. Voter is questioned for his role in democracy, if he is not voting.

However, after voting, the political parties start making permutation and combination for formation of Government in the State (i.e. Karnataka, India) based on their conveniences.

I voted (a scenario for discussion) to Janata Dal (Secular). I may have my opinion that Janata Dal (Secular) should not be associated with Congress / Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).

Clarity: there was no pre poll alliance with either parties.

Post election, Janata Dal (Secular) received minor mandate.

Nevertheless, to form a Government and teach BJP a lesson, Congress with 78 seats supported JD (S) with 37 seats. BJP could not form since they lacked the mandate for forming Government.

Objective was simple, Congress wanted to remind BJP about Goa and Meghalaya.

Final Tally (Karnataka 2018 elections):
Party
Seats
BJP
104
INC
78
JD(S)
37
BSP
1
K P Janatha Party*
1
Independent
1
Total
222
    K P - Karnataka Pragnyavantha

My question:
I vote based on the pre-poll standing / alliances.
If there is a post poll alliance which was not declared to me as a voter, I should have the right to decide whether my vote still goes to the party.
As a voter for me, if, leader of a political party to whom I voted goes into post poll alliance that will tantamount to anti-defection. Because I voted based on conditions prevailing till election date.
The politicians for safeguarding their interest came out with Anti Defection Law vide 52nd Amendment in 1985. The Law states:
“A member would incur a disqualification under paragraph 2 (1) (a) when he “voluntarily gives up his membership of a party” and under 2 (1) (b) when he/she votes (or abstains from voting) contrary to the directive issued by the party.”
Similar provisions should be there for voters when there is a post poll alliance, based on the need for forming the Government.
Voter should have right to ask election commissioner and consider his vote null and void.
In other words we want "Voters' Vote Protection Act".
In the case of Karnataka, I borrow this question of Nikhil Wagle, “Will the voter now accept their post-poll alliance?”
Let me answer Mr. Wagle many voters will not accept such post poll alliances?
The political party leaders will not give a dime of consideration to the voters. Proof is the below arrogant statement from H D Kumaraswamy (JD (S) Karnataka Chief Minister):
“The people of the state rejected me and our party. I had sought an absolute majority. I have heard the statements of farm leaders too and how much they supported me,” he said. “Mine is not an independent government. I had requested the people to give me a mandate that prevents me from succumbing to any pressure other than you. But today I am at the mercy of the Congress. I am not under the pressure of the 6.5 crore people of the state.
Now question to the leaders of political parties:
“Why are we bombarded with our rights to vote?”
I reiterate my earlier stand in my blog, citizens please vote but press NOTA (None Of The Above) button.
Clarification: I am a voter from Maharashtra. The above is a food for thought.
 Source:

No comments:

Post a Comment