Tuesday 23 January 2018

The Chairman

N Chandrashekaran rose from rank and file (Intern) to become Chairman of Tata Sons. He replaced Cyrus Mistry.

In an interview to Quint (appeared on 22 January 2018) , I felt, in some replies, the question remained unanswered:

"What’s the goal for Tata Motors in the commercial vehicle segment, and how quickly do you hope to achieve that market share?

As far as the commercial vehicles segment of Tata Motors is concerned, I am extremely happy with where we are. The progress that we have made this year has been excellent. I come from running a company where we were industry leading in terms of revenues, margins, and profits. I don’t sacrifice one for the other. We are sensible about building our business and let’s wait."

My comment: The answer for goal for Tata Motors in the commercial vehicle segment could not be found.

What can we expect in 2018 on retail?

The way to look at our agenda is by themes. The themes are going to be simplification, synergy, and scale, and will play out in every segment. Simplification will mean sometimes holding cross-holding and sometimes consolidating entities, sometimes getting out of some entities. So, it could be any one of those things. But the major verticals are 6-7. We will play these themes across these verticals. So, I can’t sit here and tell you what exactly I will do in retail. Because there are multiple companies and strategies have to be formed for these companies which make sense for these companies, shareholders. So, it is a lot of detail work.

 My comment: The answer for retail could not be found.

Further, on working relationship, Mr. Chairman replies “There’s no friction at all. There was no interference at all.”

I wonder whether Mr. Chandrasekaran will be in a position to say No to Mr. Ratan Tata if there is disagreement.

I wish to share herein a interview:

“12-14. Do you think leaders in military contexts exhibit the same qualities as organizational leaders? Why or Why not?

This is a interesting question to answer, in my opinion I believe that each all leaders are unique. In the military realm of leadership, I believe that these types of leaders do exhibit some qualities that can be found in the corporate world. Effective command presence over groups of individuals as well as the ability to inspire and motivate groups of people to accomplish a goal is imperative for all leaders. I do however believe that some military leaders do not have all the characteristics of the corporate style leadership. I say this because some leaders within the military are promoted through acts of valor or distinguished merit. Some of these leaders are promoted without the proper guidance and are simply placed into the position of leadership due to higher-ranking officers becoming killed or no longer able to participate in combat, forcing some people into leadership roles. I feel that military leaders gain much experience as a leader more in the aspect of “OTJ” or “On The Job” style, gaining leadership qualities through trial and error.”

References:

No comments:

Post a Comment